Monday, March 27, 2006

Eventful

Matt: This weekend proved to be an eventful one, even if its outcome wasn't the best!!

A few of us took a trip into the desert, giving me my first experience of driving in the dunes myself. There were 2 Jeep Wranglers, and 3 Motorcross bikes, The plan was to drive to fossil rock have a bar-b and then return.
The first hour went smoothly, Amanda and I were in one Jeep and took turns driving, it was great fun. We laughed a lot! Bounching over dunes, sliding in the sand..But then disater stuck!!



























One of the Bike riders came over the top of a dune, caught his front wheel in the sand and was sent over the top of the bike.. the bike flu over him and continued on down the dune for 20 yards or so. The rider, Christian, landed badly and ended up in a bush. he was in a lot of pain -and it soon became clear that getting him to hospital was a priority. The sun was blazing, the sand blowing about us, we couldn't keep him there for long.

Off went 1 Jeep - full, Christain lying out in the front seat. Jeep 2, went completely full - with one person perched on top of all the cool boxes and bar-b stuff. Leaving 3 Bike and 3 Guys.. Me being one of them!! Never ridden a Motorbike before I have a quick lesson!! Now I pepare to not only ride a bike for the first time - but through rolling dunes and sand!!

But it wasn't to be, the bike turned out to be damaged and not rideable safely! That left one choice...For the others to go and get one of the Jeeps and a trailer.
Leaving me in the desert, miles from anywhere, the wind blowing furiously, sand scouring me, no shade and a bit of water!! It was a odd experience, nothing to see but sand, small desert creatures and insects...I felt pretty safe knowing that the guys would be back

I was resued from 2 hours later. We got the bike and me safely back to civilization. At the hospital, it turns out, Christian has broken a bone in his wrist and fractured a supporting bone in his back. A month off work and 3 month till fully healed!!

The Next day was work (again) and the Dubai World Cup.. the richest horse meet in the world...

No comments: