Sunday, March 23, 2008

Great weekend of Sadness

Matt: I've learned in life that you have got to take the rough with the smooth, while keeping a positive outlook! Consider that everything happens for a reason and turn th negative into a positive wherever you can!

Naomi, my dearest friend and my number one house mate for the last 2 years, has left me! She's moved back to the UK to be with her man. Over the last 2 years we've spent a lot of time together and had some really great times, adventures, laughs and much much more. She'll be missed by a lot of people here in Dubai, especially me. But this is a great move or her and I wish her all the happiness in the world. I love you Noms you'll always have a place to stay wherever I am and you'll always have a place in my heart!! :)
(so turning that into a positive: I get the master bedroom now, with a full-sized bath and everything)

The long weekend (Due to the Prophet Muhammed's Birthday) was taken up with a great Quad biking excursion into the desert, Hatta visit, social fun and goodbyes at Barasti, Dune Buggying and a last supper for Naomi.

The Quad Bike excursion was a lot of fun, we got up bright and early of Thursday morning and drove out to a section of the desert fondly known as 'Area 53'. Where we donned our protective gear, saddled up and hit the dunes on 450cc Yamaha Wolverines. A lot of fun ensued. These things are great in the dunes with a little practice and knowledge of the desert, the Wolverines are virtually unstoppable.
I went with, 4 friends, Karin, Gillian, Lauren and Martel (A swede and 3 South Africans) all ladies - yes it was a hardship!! *grin*. All the girls loved it too so it's not just a testosterone fueled, adrenaline ride. Martel managed to impressively roll her Quad, she dexterously jumped clear as having 230 kilograms of machinery land on you is none too appealing! I rolled the thing back onto it's wheels and a little shaken, she climbed back on and we continued.

We completed 50-60km worth of desert in a round trip over the course of 3 hours. I highly recommend it! Didn't really have a chance to fully open up the Wolverine, but I will, oh yes... I will!!





As if that wasn't enough desert for one weekend I took Angelica Dune Buggying for her birthday - it's a completely different experience to Quad biking, you feel very safe but that takes away a little of the thrill, there isn't so much skill involved and I had my foot to the floor the whole time wanting to go faster. But still we had a lot of fun and it gave Angelica her first experience of driving in the sand!! Happy Birthday Sweetie!! x

and Happy Easter to the rest of you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright mate that sounds well good fun i want to come over and do that all day now lol speak to u soon.

Matt said...

It was awesome mate, be good to have you out the trip too.. at least if one broke down you could fix it for us :)